Emily Carr University of Art + Design
Associate Vice President, Research & Dean, Jake Kerr Faculty of Graduate Studies
Based in Vancouver, Canada, Emily Carr University of Art + Design is a world leader in education and research. Encouraging experimentation at the intersection of art, design, media and technology, our learning community merges studio practice, research, and critical theory in an interdisciplinary and collaborative environment. Alumni and faculty are internationally recognized as award-winning creators and thought leaders who have significant impact on both the cultural sector and economy. Emily Carr University engages students, industry, and society to continuously explore and think differently about creativity and how it shapes our world. Located in beautiful and culturally rich Vancouver, British Columbia, the University attracts more than 1800 students from 60 countries to our undergraduate and graduate programs.
The Dean reports to the Vice President Academic and is responsible for the strategic development, growth, and leadership of applied research and research creation at Emily Carr University and Graduate Studies programs. The ideal candidate will provide leadership in building a vision and culture for graduate studies and for the development and support of innovative practice-based research. It is intended that these endeavors are integrated, to ensure the successful recruitment and retention of students across Emily Carr University’s graduate programs. They also facilitate inter-Faculty collaboration in the maintenance and assurance of quality in the graduate programs, and in the building of future graduate programs. The AVP, Research + Dean, Jake Kerr Faculty of Graduate Studies is also responsible for building and maintaining external partnerships with industry, government agencies, funding agencies, and other universities. This position also sits on the President’s Executive Committee.
Title: Associate Vice President, Research + Dean, Jake Kerr Faculty of Graduate Studies
Company: Emily Carr University of Art + Design
Business Address: 520 East 1st Avenue, Vancouver BC V5T 0H2
Location of Work: 520 East 1st Avenue, Vancouver BC V5T 0H2
Term: The position is full-time and permanent. The term of a Dean appointment is three to five years, subject to satisfactory performance, and is renewable upon conclusion of the term.
Salary: CAN $129,545 to $135,500
Benefits: Benefits will include BC MSP coverage, extended medical, dental, pension, disability and life insurance.
Vacation: 140 hours
Typical Responsibilities Include:
Pursues a full range of activities intended to foster a research culture within Emily Carr University, to communicate the research activities internally and externally, and to grow funding opportunities associated with practice-based research.
- Develops strategy for research within the University in collaboration with stakeholders, and monitors the implementation of this strategy;
- Develops, initiates, and sustains international and national partnerships in applied research and research creation;
- Provides support to Faculty by advising of research funding opportunities, by organizing training in applying for and conducting research programs, and by suggesting collaborations and partnerships;
- Chairs the research committee, responsible for working with faculty to generate and develop potential research and monitoring research to ensure compliance with research contracts and policies;
- Participates in planning and implementation of ECUAD`s research organizational infrastructure and research facilities;
- Develops and administers the Universities Intellectual Property to ensure appropriate protection and benefit for faculty members, students, the University and other stakeholders. Works with Faculty, Staff, and Student inventors and researchers to pursue opportunities to commercialize the IP in which the University has an interest and to support applied applications of Emily Carr University research projects;
- Communicates the Universities research policies, objectives, and successes internally and to the community, and encourages the growth of the reputation of the University for innovation and research creation.
- In consultation with the President, and the VP, Academic + Provost, provides strategic leadership and administration to Graduate Studies at Emily Carr University, including the development of curriculum, and all policies related to programs, and the integration of Graduate Studies into the Emily Carr environment;
- In collaboration with the VP, Academic + Provost and Deans, develops and implements graduate programs at ECUAD, and works with Senate in the development of graduate curriculum and research training opportunities;
- Ensures the quality of graduate programs and promotes the welfare of graduate students, develops links between research activities and graduate programs, providing opportunities for emerging researchers. In consultation with the VP, Academic + Provost, is responsible for the development of partnership agreements within the Graduate programs and obtains external sources of funding support for graduate programs at ECUAD;
- In collaboration with the VP, Academic + Provost, develops internationalization initiatives, including projects, programs and student recruitment;
- Provides administrative leadership to all Graduate Studies programs by preparing and monitoring operational and capital budgets, and hiring, training, supervising, deploying, evaluating, disciplining, dismissing and administering the collective agreements for Faculty and Staff supporting the Graduate Studies program;
- Evaluates graduate studies and graduate student research activities on an ongoing basis, with regard to purpose, fiscal sustainability and community impact and adjusts operational and strategic plans as needed.
- Supervises staff supporting the Graduate Studies and Research office, including the hiring, training, supervision, evaluation, discipline, dismissal and grievance procedures and collective agreement administration for support staff in the Graduate Studies office;
- Working closely with Financial Services, Office of the Registrar, and other administrative offices, establishes policy and procedures for research and the administration of graduate fellowships and scholarships;
- Participates on appropriate internal and external committees.
- A Doctorate degree, or equivalent combination of an advanced degree and experience.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in educational leadership and research in a post-secondary setting and/or experience in an industrial or business setting is essential as well as experience in the development of international and national industry, academic and government partnerships.
- Successful record of professional practice, including exhibitions, publications, productions, presentations, etc.
- Experience with establishing internal and external collaborations with industry, cultural and post-secondary partners and experience with federal and provincial research funding agencies.
- Demonstrated experience in, and knowledge of, research, coop program development, consultation, and outreach.
- Solid administrative experience in higher education with a professional knowledge of the art and design context.
- Must have a demonstrated commitment and ability to provide leadership and vision to the development and growth of a culture of applied research and research creation within Emily Carr, be well organized, proactive in developing new initiatives, and highly adaptable to changing conditions and possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to interact effectively with Faculty, Students, Staff, Alumni, and the wider academic and business community.
- Strong intellectual and research leadership, excellent management and strategic planning skills with the ability to lead collaboratively and supervise the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of research programs.
- A commitment to the vision of Emily Carr and the goals of graduate studies and faculty research activities in supporting that vision is critical.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English (and/or French).
How to Apply
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Emily Carr is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace, and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please visit our website and submit your application to Shelina Esmail or Jennifer Madden or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PFM Executive Search / Panorama Search Partners
Suite 510, 999 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 22W2