Metro Vancouver Transit Police
Metro Vancouver Transit Police is a multi-jurisdictional policing agency dedicated to the provision of policing to the transit system in Metro Vancouver. The Transit Police comprises over 180 Sworn Officers plus 70 civilian staff. Its jurisdiction is the entire public transit system crossing twenty-one municipalities, which are also served by a combination of seventeen independent police forces and RCMP detachments that police these communities. The transit system that is operated by or on behalf of the regional transportation authority, known as TransLink, includes 144 km of rail, 63 stations, over 1,500 buses, one passenger ferry route, and 200 bus routes, spread out over 1,800 square kilometers. As a values-driven policing agency, Transit Police actions are tied to core values that guide and support each interaction that Officers have with transit passengers, transit employees and the communities served.
As a result of the retirement of the Chief Officer, the Metro Vancouver Transit Police Board now seeks a proven policing leader who will be tasked with preserving the peace and serving the safety and security needs of transit passengers, transit employees and the general public in one of North America’s most acclaimed multi-modal transit systems, known as TransLink. Operational excellence is fundamental to the policing of the transit system, as is a clear focus on customer service and engagement. In this unique strategic and operational leadership role the new Chief will build on the success of the past in maintaining a shared vision of policing for the future of a large 24/7 major urban transit system. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with many partners and stakeholders (including among others, the public, the transit enterprise, transit users, other police agencies, the media, and local and provincial government leaders) to ensure continued delivery of exceptional policing operations as part of the larger TransLink enterprise.
The ideal candidate will:
- bring proven experience working at an executive level within a police service that has community policing as a focus and uses modern systems, data and analytics to effectively deploy resources in today’s highly visible world of law enforcement;
- have excelled and earned the respect of peers and stakeholders in previous policing roles;
- have demonstrated exceptional skill in working collaboratively to develop and support effective and progressive partnerships with stakeholders;
- have demonstrated ability as a communicator;
- have experience working with Boards and Committees; and
- preferably, have a university degree in a relevant area of study.